My little family!

My little family!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

So what's going on with my little B's tummy?

Well my little B has had issues with constipation since about 2 years old.  I figured it was hereditary and our old pediatrician said he should just take miralax.  Wow laxatives indefinitely for a toddler... That's the great medical wisdom I was foolishly paying for.  Once I found this new pediatrician, along with the extensive reading I have done, I realized that I needed to find the root of the problem and work on solving what was causing this, in order to help him become healthier. 

We had 2 tests done to see what was going on in his gastrointestinal system.  The Allergy Antibody Assessment and CDSA  (The Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis).  Both are done through our new pediatric office using Genova Diagnostics.  His allergy test came back to show that not only does he have IgG allergies to milk, but all dairy along with wheat and gluten.  So the doctor has him on a GFCF diet for 6 months... what is that people say?  Means NO food that has dairy or casein in it and NO food with wheat or gluten in it.  That has really limited our choices and forced us into even healthier eating.  Many products have these products in them that people don't even realize.  We are only safe with raw fruits, veggies and meat that isn't processed unless I read the food labels to see what is in everything.  Fast food is out!  Anyhow, his other test results showed that in his intestines, he has severe inflammation, tissue damage, and maldigestion.  He also has zero good belly bacteria so he is on a extremely high amount of probiotics now.  I had no idea all this was going on b/c I can't see in his tummy.   According to Genova Diagnostics, a food that causes an IgG response is referred to as a delayed allergy.  IgG allergies usually result from eating too much of a particular food too frequently over a period of time. 

The good news for us is that after 6 months I can try giving him these foods again and there is a great chance his system will no longer have the sensitivity to these items.  Many people think it is stupid that my child is on such a strict diet but if I didn't do my part to help heal his tummy then I could be taking the risk of continuing to let more tissue within him become damaged and this could also set him up for a future of possible health problems and put him at higher risk for serious diseases.  I have realized that what we eat truly can play a part in all our health issues, good and bad.  I am making a greater effort to feed my children and my family a variety of healthier foods and including a lot more fruits and veggies. We still let them enjoy treats, we just search for ones that are both yummy and not full of chemicals. If I would have known the things I know now, I could have saved my son from ever having tummy pain that would bring him to tears and save myself the headache of our strict new diet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment