This was the most challenging task at first...GROCERY SHOPPING! Oh my goodness, I spent about 6 hours shopping one time. Going to different stores of course. Well, I have mastered it and I'm back to my regular amount of grocery shopping time. I have specific stores that I go to for certain items. Once the whole food store opens in fairview, I will probably do most of my shopping there as they offer everything from organics to gluten free food, grass fed meats, range free eggs, etc. As for now I go to Market Street, Signature Kroger stores, Sprouts, Natural grocers, Whole Foods and I still find some stuff at Walmart. I get supplements through our doctors or at Mike's Health Collection. I also buy grass fed meats from a local farmer (Rehoboth Ranch) that goes to local farmers markets. However I do not go to all of these in one day but I switch up where I go depending on my schedule.
Our grocery bill has gone up a little but but not substantially b/c I no longer buy frozen food dinners and all the little junk foods that so many of us like to fill our freezers and pantries with. Now we fill our shelves and fridge with fruits and veggies (organic if on the dirty dozen list), meats that are minimally processed, free of antibiotics, growth stimulants, hormones and nitrates, gluten free pasta, range free eggs that again have no antibiotics or hormones, crackers, cereal, and chips that have no preservatives, artificial color or artificial flavor, and no high fructose corn syrup. Now the meats and fruits are a little more expensive but the other stuff is in the same price ranges as the less healthier options. It just takes time in the beginning to read the labels of what I am buying to feed my family. Now I know our basic choices and new items I just take the time to read what is in the food ingredients. For myself, I want to know what I am putting in my children's bodies. I have spent many hours over the past 6 months reading books and articles that help explain what and why it makes a difference to eat healthier food choices. Some of my favorites are listed at the bottom of my blog page.
November 1st - The Whole Foods store in Fairview opens!!
ReplyDeleteI will be shopping there now! With all Brayden's allergies it will be so easy to find all that I am looking for. Yes it cost a little more but I have spent money on worse. At least this makes a difference in my children's lives!